RFI

[RFI] portable flag tra king RFI

To: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Subject: [RFI] portable flag tra king RFI
From: N4ZR <n4zr@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 19:24:27 -0400
Hi Don - thanks for all your hand-holding.  Finished mine today and it works fine.  I used 1" PVC pipe for the arms, and screwed them to either side of a 1X6.  I figured the 3/4" offset wouldn't matter, and it appears I was right.  With the MTM Scientific W7IUV preamp and a TECSUN PL-880 receiver, it easily picked up the 5-8 MHz, every-50-KHz signal I've been trying to find, and localized it (by ear) to within about 20 degrees of arc.  Tomorrow I'm going on the road to triangulate it and move in.

I'm really curious to see what it is.  It looks like this:

As you can see, it's not deafening, and I was a little worried that the flag+RX sensitivity might not be enough, even with the preamp, but there is plenty of signal.

--
73, Pete N4ZR
web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.