RFI

Re: [RFI] Vancouver recording studio plagued by RFI in danger of losing

To: rfi <rfi@contesting.com>, Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Vancouver recording studio plagued by RFI in danger of losing clients
From: AA5CT via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 00:04:12 +0000 (UTC)
I will have to say, since the rollout of 600 and 700 MHz spectrum LTE
services rounds about last December (2020) I have noticed some
increased 'pulse' type interference on some of the RF hardware I use
on a daily basis ...

Notable is the interference to a Radio Shack Pro-2006 scanner and also
what must be direct RF rectification of the 4G LTE 'pulse' energy as
experienced on a Sony AM/FM portable radio.

I note the interference on the Sony AM/FM portable at about 1/4 mile out
from a water tower which I have bicycled by for the last year and 1/4,
since last year about March (2020). It has 'picked up steam' since about
December or so last year ... paralleling the 600 and 700 MHz LTE
band build-outs by the cellular carriers.

I also note the strength of the 600/700 MHz RF signals to be on the order
of -40 dBm (30 kHz wide IF I think) on a spectrum analyzer with a 1/4
wave wire antenna on the input here at the QTH which is less than 1/2
mile from the same water tower.

The 800 MHz cellular signals are about 10 dB weaker ... my opinion
is it looks like the 600/700 MHz RF signals are set higher than what
the legacy cellular bands were (and I used to do RF planning in this
market once upon a time).

I have noticed no effects from the 600/700 MHz services on adequately
engineered RF equipment such as GE Mastr Pro UHF repeater or the
Motorola handhelds or the Alinco handhelds I use on a daily basis.

de AA5CT Jim

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021, 12:38:26 PM GMT-5, Rob Atkinson