RFI

Re: [RFI] Mystery noise

To: Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Mystery noise
From: Jim Rhodes <jimk0xu@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 15:45:47 -0600
I once had a neighbor call me and tell me I was tearing up his satellite TV
signal. I had been using an HT with about 100 mW out. I told him I would
lay off for the night and later look to see if I could find out what was
going on. Having young children in the house at the time and working long
hours I was not on the air at all for at least another 2 weeks, when I got
a not so nice letter from a lady at the FCC field office. She told me I was
"interfering with a neighbor's TV signal" and demanded that I tell her what
my plan was to rectify the situation. In her mind there was no doubt that
it was my fault. So I called the neighbor to ask what was going on. He said
he was getting interference every evening starting about 5PM and that it
was going on "right now". I told him that that means that the problem is
not with my equipment as I am talking to him on the phone and only had one
mouth to talk with. He said that when he called the outfit that sold him
the setup about the problem he was told that told that I "had to be the
cause" of his interference. So we went back to being friends and I wrote
back to the "nice" lady at the FCC and said that as his periods of
interference coincided with my times of operation on only one occasion that
my plan was to not do a GD thing. I think it turned out to be a CB'r with a
"foot warmer".

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 1:16 PM Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com> wrote:

> Many years ago, a fellow from a house 3 houses down, called and cursing
> (I have known him since we were kids (I am 61) and he was quite probably
> drunk) that I was tearing up his mothers TV on an antenna. I was running
> 100w 6m digital meteor scatter. 4 el beam pointed in their direction.
>
> He threatened to call the FCC. My response was, hold on a moment I will
> get you their telephone number :-). He then hung up on me. Never heard
> anymore about it. We now converse at Walmart like nothing ever happened.
> After the call, I looked and the only antenna on the house was one of
> those wing shaped camper antennas at most 20' high trying to pick up
> Memphis more than 50 miles away. Geezz....
>

> Another neighbor (a nice fellow about a block away), also many years
> ago, was on cable TV getting interference on Ch 18 (2 meters and one of
> his favorite channels) when I was on FM. He, the city administrator, a
> cable tech, and I met at his house. Of course the conversation from the
> administrator and cable tech leaned towards it my fault even though the
> neighbor was on my side. I could feel the trend going towards them
> threatening to call the FCC.
>
> I tried to explain to them that CATV is suppose to be a closed system,
> etc which seemed to fall on deaf ears. To prove my point I put the TV on
> Ch 19 (power co freq, their tower about 1/2 mile away). Then called the
> power co and ask them to key their transmitter (while I had my HT tuned
> to them). As they did it wiped out 19. The look on their faces was
> priceless, lol
>

> I sure like digital TV :-)
>
> Chuck
> W4NBO
>

> On 8/12/21 1:02 PM, David Eckhardt wrote:
> > Oh,.....this wonderful digital age. Where is FCC??????
> >
> > Why even have Part 15 if there is no enforcement?????
> >
> > I know, ....., I'm opening a forbidden can of worms, but.........
> >
> > Dave - WØLEV

Jim K0XU
jim@rhodesend.net