RFI

Re: [RFI] 70cm impulse noise

To: Christopher Wawak <kc2ieb@wawak.org>
Subject: Re: [RFI] 70cm impulse noise
From: AA5CT via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 14:30:01 +0000 (UTC)
Chris,

For YEARS I thought there was an intermittent arcing power line I was
hearing on UHF. The 'pulse' was kinda random, not uniform like one
hears from an S-band ASR-9 or ASR-11 air surveillance RADAR which
sounds like a whine or buzz tone.

So, I looked into it deeper and noted the random pulsing was kinda
from different directions, it didn't behave like power line arcing
WHICH is normally heard on UHF -only- when close to a pole (and
out utilities for several streets any direction are blocks away.)

The two Yagi antenna/radio trick pointed different directions was the
clincher - one could hear the random clicking move from one to
the other ...

There also a very high rep-rate mode (ISAR?), and one can literally
heard the sidelobes of the rotating antenna as it rotates, and when
the main lobe sweeps through one can definitely ID that as well.

I've got the high rep rate mode captured on video when it was affecting
a local UHF amateur repeater in the area too. Normally (in past years)
the APS-145 was used in the low rep rate freq-hopping mode (judging
from observations.) I don't recall right off hand the designation
of the new RADAR that replaced the APS-145.

See also:

https://www.militaryaerospace.com/home/article/16705866/lockheed-martin-aps145-radar-to-go-aboard-new-customs-aircraft

Maybe that is the source (although that would make those 20 yr old RADARs.)

de AA5CT Jim

On Friday, August 13, 2021, 8:33:19 AM GMT-5, Christopher Wawak