RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI ID Help Needed

To: Christopher Wawak <kc2ieb@wawak.org>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI ID Help Needed
From: Alan Higbie <alan.higbie@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 07:33:23 -0600
I second Chris' suggestion to use the portable flag loop with preamp.

Within the past 4 months, I have used one about 5 times to pinpoint noise
sources.

Either build one from WD8DSB's article in March 2021 QST or (like I did)
buy the kit for $120 from DX Engineering.  Note, DXE says estimated
delivery late October.
Needs a pre-amp.  I also bought the DXE preamp ($135) - and its built-in
attenuator has helped bring the signal strength back to mid-scale as got
closer to the source.

The loop's null seems very sharp.  So, locating accuracy is helped when the
loop is mounted on a tripod. This is much better than wandering around with
the loop swinging wildly.

Also, signal strength is affected by having your body near the loop - so
that's another good reason to mount the loop on a tripod, make incremental
azimuth changes, and do what you can to keep your body from affecting
signal strength measurements.

73,

~ Alan K0AV