RFI

Re: [RFI] Working with Utilities

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>, "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Working with Utilities
From: "Hare, Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 21:04:06 +0000
What I have seen is that noise that gets conducted onto 120- or 240-volt wiring
differentially tends to diminish very rapidly with distance, even on HF.  Noise
that is conducted onto ac mains in the common mode diminishes more slowly with
distance, but typically goesn't get much farther than the transformer.  Most
power line noises are conducted onto those overhead wires the same way we feed
our antennas, so they tend to develop standing waves that can propagate for a
long way along a line.

To keep a bit on target with the thread name, it is important to differentiate
true "power line noise" from the many other noises that can be heard.  In very
general terms:

> Power-line noise is broadband, not varying much across an amateur band other
> than to be somewhat broadly stronger around the frequency where the source
> radiator and/or susceptor antenna are resonant.

> Power-line noise typically changes with changes in humidity and to some
> extent, temperature.

> When demodulated in an AM receiver, power-line noise shows a strong 120-Hz
> component, with a 60-Hz component present in some cases.  (If you make a .wav
> file and run it through a free program called Audacity, you can do a spectral
> analysis that will show the audio peaks).

> When looked at in the time domain, power line noise is generally a bit
> "erratic" in nature. This is especially evident when demodulated by a Radar
> Engineers receiver, due to the wider bandwidth and the way it shows the noise
> as pulses.

> Other electrical noise such as lamp dimmers can also show a 60- or 120-Hz
> component, but in the time domain, the waveform is generally more uniform and
> repetitive.

> Switching regulators show some definitive characteristcs:
   o They are not uniform across a band, but appear every N kHz, with N
typically being between 10 and 50 kHz or so.
   o Regulators tend to be somewhat drifty, as they go through temperature
changes at warmup or loads change.
   o Regulators are typically responsive to changes in voltage, so surges and
dips cause minor, short-lasting frequency changes.
   o Almost all power supplies, newer battery chargers, LED bulbs, invertres,
fluorescent ballasts and solar systems are switching in nature.

> Digital signals can vary from just being broadband noise to having a distinct
> digital sound and multiple carriers.  The noise will not show a 60- or 120-Hz
> peak.

It is important to identify the noise source before complaing to the utility.
They are not responsible for noise from non-utility equipment and a few false
complaints can quickly put amateurs to the bottom of their priority list, often
not scheduled until Nevuary.

Ed, W1RFI