RFI

[RFI] 8982 KHz RFI?

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] 8982 KHz RFI?
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 23:27:25 -0700
A fellow put out a request on another group about what the thought was some sort of jamming on military frequencies. He sent me screen captures from an SDR, and an audio recording. What I heard sounded like RFI I've heard for 20-30+ years. I'm often online a few hours after he hears it, check one to two dozen SDRs around his east coast location, and hear nothing.

I thought I'd check some SDRs near where I grew up while I was online, and put one of his military frequencies into it. Sure enough, same screwy noise, very strong on the west coast, same frequency.

So, RFI from similar equipment on both coasts, or some peculiar communications mode?

I've heard many sounds like this since the 80's, or 90's, assumed RFI, but not certain now.

Can be heard on 8982 khz USB on this SDR:

http://ak7v.hopto.org:8073/

Kurt