RFI

Re: [RFI] CASE HISTORY - Powerline - Multiple Sources (re-post w/o errat

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] CASE HISTORY - Powerline - Multiple Sources (re-post w/o errata)
From: Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 16:39:46 -0500
Yes, great list.

That maybe me on #2, lol. I re-transmit the audio from the HF receiver on 440 while DFing on 2m or vica versa with 2 HT's. Could be done with one dual bander I suppose as long as you can listen to both bands at the same time. Seems like nearly all my 120hz noise at some point will develop a distinctive pattern especially as the weather changes but one has to be really patient for this method. Got to be ready to go when it does happen, usually at a non convenient time. But when it does, its obvious by listening to the two sources that you have a match.

It helps also to have a rotatable vhf (or possibly uhf) station beam to get you started in the right direction. Listening to the pattern (especially if its intermittent) on vhf and hf at the same time to match.

And you maybe able to actually see the arc at night especially with binoculars once you have found the pole. Of course it helps if its dark and no nearby streetlights. Likely expect a faint little pinpoint arc.

Just more tools to consider. One has to keep a really open mind chasing this stuff and get all your ducks in a row before calling the utility. It is really time consuming for me but worth it and really satisfying when the utility fixes the source you found. Kind of like solving a complex puzzle. And can be very frustrating at the same time for many reasons.

The knowledge base on this reflector is incredible. I am happy to be a student here.

Currently chasing 3 sources. I have identified all 3 poles and got one pinpointed with the Ultrasonic. The other 2 are intermittent to the point of ceasing for weeks and months at the time making the hunt long term. One of these I identified today. Its 2 houses down and singing like a canary. The pattern matched. Not long after I got back to the shack it ceased so no Ultrasonic for now....

73

Chuck

W4NBO