RFI

Re: [RFI] Request for comments, Rheem HVAC

To: Karin Johnson <karinann@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Request for comments, Rheem HVAC
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 18:03:27 +0000
I spotted the close proximity of the input 3-phase power and power to the
compressor right off the bat as did you.  Your other approaches are
certainly good, excellent, with the possible exception of composition of
the ferrite (or powdered iron) cores.

All these cores are common mode chokes.  I can not judge on the
effectiveness as such based on the (few) number of turns through each
toroid.  Here is the color coding for cores from Amidon:

           http://www.qrz.lt/ly1gp/amidon.html

The tan core is phenolic and offers nothing in terms of inductance
enhancement (µr) due to the presence of the toroid.  These are all powdered
iron of one form or another and are not intended to do much as a common
mode choke or EMI suppression.  If that was the reason for their choice by
Rheem, they chose the wrong core materials for the cores.  Good
intentions.......bad execution.  They are more suited for hi-Q inductors
over their target frequency ranges.  I'd advise you leave those alone as
they may be doing something "unknown" to the casual observer regarding
performance of the unit.  However, I'd also advise augmenting each winding
with common mode chokes (all three wires through a common core for each
with nominally three passes through the each core) wound on 31 material
which is excellent for the CMC application.  Those included chokes do
little for EMI suppression.  CMCs would on 31 material should be much
better at suppressing EMI than the included toroidal chokes.

Current rating of the proposed Corcom 3-phase filter:  Be sure the filter
will take the starting current draw on the compressor.

Dave - WØLEV

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*