RFI

[RFI] Fwd: Thanks and RFI behind 637 Clifft Street (UPDATE)

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Fwd: Thanks and RFI behind 637 Clifft Street (UPDATE)
From: Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 15:42:06 -0500
Good Afternoon Randy,

Yesterday a 450mhz yagi portable directional antenna came in that I ordered. 120hz arc RFI diminishes with frequency. Thus if you can hear it at a higher frequency it makes more precise triangulation possible once near the suspected source.

Prior to now I had primarily been doing my triangulation's at 145mhz and below.

Today, I still am triangulating on the pole behind 637 Clifft Street and at 450mhz this becomes very apparent. I get the strongest signal at the top of the pole, no surprise there since that is the 7.2kv area. Since I cannot hear it with ultrasonic, I am speculating that one of the connections (transformer and lightning arrester) underneath the critter guards is the cause, maybe loose. Or possible the insulator or lightning arrester has a crack in it.

At any rate, thought I would update you on my findings. I surveyed all the nearby poles and they are all quiet at 450mhz.

Its the pole behind the old wood shop building at 637 Clifft with jungle like growth.

Thanks,
Chuck

One more note; After doing 4 triangulation's on different days, I still center on the pole behind 637 Clifft Street. However, the next pole east I get about 2/3's the strength readings. Poles either side of those 2 drops off drastically. So if nothing is found on the pole behind 637 Clifft, then please check the next one east.

Just wanted to add that.

Appreciate very much,

Chuck