RFI

Re: [RFI] Strong RFI on 2m

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Strong RFI on 2m
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 14:29:06 -0800
On 12/22/2021 1:46 PM, nlsa@nlsa.com wrote:
My question should be, "What does Ethernet EMI look like at VHF?"  It might be
different at HF.

YES! The first step in ANY investigation of noise should be with the widest practical waterfall display at frequencies of interest.

http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf

At HF, wired Ethernet is radiated as a common mode signal and heard as multiple birdies at certain harmonics of the digital waveform. Study this link for a discussion of the issue, and a list of frequencies where many of the land in the HF bands and 6M.

http://k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

At VHF, the mechanism is different -- leakage of those components of the digital signal above the frequency where the tightly twisted pairs are no longer tight enough to resist leakage/crosstalk. I hear it as broadband noise in a 2M talkie close to the cable. I've not looked at spectrum.

Both mechanisms can be effectively suppressed by the use of shielded CAT cable provided that the shield is properly terminated at both ends. Obviously, this requires connectors with a shield contact AND proper termination of that shield contact within the box to the shielding enclosure or circuit board's reference layer(s) at the point of entry.

73, Jim K9YC