RFI

Re: [RFI] Not your typical invisible fence RFI

To: Joseph Bouchard <joek1vw@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Not your typical invisible fence RFI
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 12:03:47 -0500
Hi Joe and gang,

Thanks for the comments.

I'm not looking for a home brew solution as I already know what a solution
is based on my past experiences with invisible fence systems including my
own.  As I mentioned the problem with the invisible fence I'm currently
dealing with is not the typical problem of repeating intervals of the
primary transmitted signal (normally between 7 and 13 KHz) that's the
normal problem with invisible fence systems, but rather a very broad non
modulated signal in the 20 meter band.

Numerous years ago I actually designed and built my own invisible fence
transmitter to mimic the Innotek in ground system that I was already using
because I wanted another transmitter to work with my dogs collar in a
secondary location on my property but was to cheap to buy another
transmitter.  I generated a 8.17 KHz PWM Signal using a Microchip 16F690
microcontroller that transmits a 8 bit code; Code = 01010101 where 0 is a
short pulse and 1 is a long pulse, and this mimicked the signal transmitted
from my store bought transmitter and works great.  On both my store bought
and home built transmitters I designed and installed a balanced low pass
filter that connects to the output of the transmitter (between the
transmitter and in ground wire loop), and this solved all my problems of
repeating intervals of the 8.17 KHz signal and it should also work on my
neighbors system but I really want the Invisible Fence company to see
what's happening as the problem might actually be an abnormal transmitter
since it's atypical of anything I have ever encountered with invisible
fence transmitters.  I would prefer a low pass filter solution from
Invisible Fence versus my own from a liability standpoint and hope that's
what we wind up with unless replacement of the transmitter also solves the
problem.

73,
Don (wd8dsb)