RFI

Re: [RFI] LED recessed lighting

To: David Hale <astronomerdave@gmail.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED recessed lighting
From: Scott Yost via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 23:51:46 +0000 (UTC)
Since it might be futile trying to identify an RFI free LED based on another's
experience I'll offer a solution I found.
I retrofitted incandescent lights in my wife's sewing room with these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08NPH3NXF?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
These are not can lights, and what's worse I found they produced RFI at the low
end of 40 where I spend most of my time.
But, I found an RFI solution that may help with a noisy LED.
Neither mix 31 or 43 in a common mode choke had an effect on the RFI these
bulbs produced.
But a safety capacitor placed from hot to neutral in the junction box feeding
the lights completely eliminated it.
DO NOT USE an ordinary capacitor. Use only a properly rated safety capacitor.
In my case I used a 0.0022 uF X2 275V metal film capacitor.  One is all it took
to silence the entire string.
ScottNM8R

-------- Original message --------From: David Hale <astronomerdave@gmail.com>
Date: 6/18/22 18:35 (GMT-05:00) To: RFI@contesting.com Subject: [RFI] LED
recessed lighting
Does anyone have experience with or can recommend an LED can light that is
RFI-friendly? My wife wants recessed lighting in a spare room we’re turning
into a “den”. 73 de N3WTK