RFI

Re: [RFI] Travel trailer converter RFI solutions

To: "k1ttt.dave@gmail.com" <k1ttt.dave@gmail.com>, "'rfi@contesting com'" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Travel trailer converter RFI solutions
From: nm8rmedic via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 15:52:12 -0400
K1TTT,Good point about the ripple. I have a battery powered scope and will
check. ScottSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: k1ttt.dave@gmail.com Date: 7/22/22
14:42  (GMT-05:00) To: 'nm8rmedic' <nm8rmedic@rocketmail.com>, "'rfi@contesting
com'" <rfi@contesting.com> Subject: RE: [RFI] Travel trailer converter RFI
solutions I would be very suspicious of the growl caused by ferrites on the dc
line, the only reason for that would be ripple, aka noise, on the dc output.
May be worth putting a scope on that or at least adding some serious filter
caps to see if it helps.  Also double check anything that comes off the dc
lines, if there are led bulbs, computers or phone chargers or supplies, a tv,
etc it could be a switching supply in them that goes off when you power the dc
converter off.David Robbins K1TTTe-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.netweb:
http://wiki.k1ttt.netAR-Cluster node: telnet://k1ttt.net:7373-----Original
Message-----From: RFI <rfi-bounces+k1ttt=arrl.net@contesting.com> On Behalf Of
nm8rmedic via RFISent: Friday, July 22, 2022 14:11To: rfi@contesting com
<rfi@contesting.com>Subject: [RFI] Travel trailer converter RFI solutionsHas
anyone on the forum succeeded in quieting the RFI from the AC to DC converter
in their travel trailer?Or has anyone identified a suitable linear power supply
with battery charging circuitry?Our trailer has a switching power converter
rated at 55 amps. It produces RFI about every 30 khz, mainly in the 40 and 20
meter amateur bands. Powering down the converter kills them, so they are coming
from the switching power supply that forms the basis of the converter.
Neither an Isobar filtering power strip, nor Mix 31 ferrite cores on the AC
power cable had effect. The same cores on the DC line cause some odd
ferromagnetic resonance inside the converter because it audibly growls when
they are in place. Bypass capacitors on the DC line had no effect.I'm
interested in hearing anyone's success story.ScottSent from my Verizon, Samsung
Galaxy smartphone _______________________________________________RFI mailing