RFI

[RFI] 160m Spur - Time to "Pause"

To: rfi <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] 160m Spur - Time to "Pause"
From: Bob Kozlarek WA2SQQ <wa2sqq@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 12:35:43 -0500
I’m realizing that this topic is spiralizing in multiple directions, for a
situation that’s not really causing any major problem to the amateur
community. As concerned hams we are obviously concerned whether the two
stations are aware of it. Being the “local ham”, I jumped in and took the
following actions.

This is not a case of receiver overload. For starters, it’s been heard at
distances up to several hundred miles. I’ve done all the recommended
testing procedures.

Last night I observed a one-hour period, before and after sunset to see
what happens when their antenna patterns change. The stations and the spur
were monitored locally and online using remote SDR receivers in PA. The
antenna pattern change has no effect. *During this time (before and after
sunset), the spur would occasionally pop up with an obvious “lose
connection” sound and promptly disappear.* This was also observed on
K3FEF’s SDR in PA. This appears to be an intermittent / oxidized connection
which is probably at the transmitter site.

I’ve already sent an e-mail to both stations asking for their CE to contact
me. No response, and I now know why. I reached out to a few people I know
who are connected to the AM Broadcast industry in my area. I’ve verified
that the CE for these two stations is a ham, KA2CAF. His QRZ page verifies
what he does. Unfortunately, I was told that he suffered a stroke last
Saturday. I’m going to send him an e-mail just in case he can monitor his
e-mail. I do not expect any immediate action. *Since this situation is not
causing the amateur community any major problem, please “pause” and let’s
allow this to play out. We’ve done our part and that’s all we can do*
Bob, WA2SQQ
*"The only dumb questions are those we don't ask"*