[TenTec] Orion Sub-Receiver Trouble

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Sub-Receiver Trouble
From: "TJ Sheffield" <kl7ts@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 12:00:04 -0800
On an intermittent basis my Orion sub-receiver will display approximately ?five bars? of noise while the main receiver may show S-2. Both receivers are on 20m at present.

If I tune the sub-receiver down to 13.000.000 the ?five bars? of noise is still displayed and the hash is still heard in the sub-receiver. If I tune to 12.999.900 the ?five bars? of hash drops entirely and a more reasonable 1-1/2 bars of ?normal? background hiss is heard.

The sub-receiver noise at 13.000.000 and above sounds something like a mixture of high and low tones that are cycling, burbling and/or pulsing at a rapid rate. Sorry I don?t have a more technical description for this noise! Tuning to 12.999.900 and below the hash disappears and I hear the ?normal? background hiss of a quiet band.

If the sub-receiver is above 13.000.000 and I cycle the main power switch off / on the condition persists. If I tune to 12.999.990 and cycle the power the condition is ?cured? but a noticeable ?pop? is heard when rolling from 12.999.900 to 13.000.00 however the sub-receiver hash is gone.

When the sub-receiver noise is present the rig is not useable for split operation but the ?cure? at least is available. I?m running the latest firmware.

These observations will be cross-posted to ?ditsnbits? but I though I?d mention it to the group.

Thanks very much,

TJ Sheffield, KL7TS
Anchorage, Alaska