Re: [TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 01:18:56 -0500
Duane,

Oh yes indeed there are.  I've used many forms of Digital Signal Processing
in my earlier work, other than for noise reduction.  I am though limiting
the discussion HERE to noise reduction, because that is the application of
interest to this particular group.  In common with all forms of DSP that I
have worked with however, the DSP processor was always a dedicated,
specialized processor.  Otherwise, the amount of "general purpose"
processing that would be required to accomplish the same effects would, as
one poster noted correctly, be overwhelming.

Another poster noted that the Orion manual makes reference to the automatic
NR function "having the same effect as a very narrow band pass filter".
Well yes, but having the same effect does not mean that it does it exactly
in that way.

Likewise, the phrase "building a filter around the signal" which has been
used in several posts in various forms does not mean that there is an actual
pass band being established.  I've seen that language used elsewhere as a
simplified explanation of DSP, referencing the more familiar analog of a
filter, instead of trying to explain the math, etc, of true DSP noise
reduction.

Thus, while it might be the case that it simply builds a narrow pass band
around the signal, I don't think the phrases used thus far establish
conclusively that this is the case.  It may be.

I'd like to know definitively, from Ten Tec.  I am sure we all would.

73 de Gary, AA2IZ