Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec 307G Speaker

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec 307G Speaker
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 03:06:35 -0400

On 7/8/2013 10:57 PM, Larry Belcher wrote:

   Also does anyone have any comments as to
        CW operation with the speaker.

Um... er... ah...  Geeze, Larry, I expect a
paddle or straight key will work much better.

   ;-)

But seriously folks...

My personal take is CW sounds pretty much the same (i.e., of equal audio quality) on A LOT of speakers. OK, while there is SOME SLIGHT variation using different speakers, it is insignificant to my ear. After all, you are producing a single tone at a single frequency. I know you can hear some difference from speaker one speaker to the next, but I do not consider it a substantial or material difference.

I nearly always prefer a headset or headphones over any speaker. Closed earphone receivers often attenuate ambient noise in the shack, such as that produced by cooling fans, the dog or the XYL, and help you concentrate on the message. Also, headphones makes the transaction private, and the XYL won't be annoyed by the unpredictable, yet ongoing beep of the CW tone.

I believe moderately priced cans are generally more accurate than most inexpensive speakers housed in a large metal cabinet. I recently ordered the replacement speaker used in TenTec's current model external speaker and, while it is a nice little speaker, it cost less than $10 and I guess almost any headphones should produce a more accurate and pleasing sound, while passively attenuating ambient noise and facilitating privacy.

Just MY take ... your mileage may differ.

.