TopBand: Need advice on EWE installation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Need advice on EWE installation
From: aj6t@slip.net (Walter Miller)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 16:06:30 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, MEL wrote:

> I'd love to put up a beverage, but space is limited to about 290 feet and
> there are WAY too many trees to detour around.

Mel,
I decided late last season to put up a short 300 foot Beverage in
desperation to get better topband reception.  I was amazed at how well
that antenna performed.  It made a tremendous improvement compared to my
inverted L with elevated radials.  Signals were weaker, but the S/N
improvement was dramatic.  I would suggest you try a Beverage with a
decent 9:1 matching transformer and sloping ends.  Dont worry too much
about wiggling it a bit to clear the trees.  I was so impressed, I ran two
other 300 footers in other directions, and I am very pleased with my Bev
farm.  I use them unterminated for a bidirectional response.  Now I am
trying another tack about noise reduction....trying to get my JPS ANC4
noise canceller to knock down the noise on the inverted L so that I can
take advantage of its superior signal strength pickup.  Have not yet been
able to find the right noise antenna yet with that box.
Good luck on 160.  See you on the band.
73, Walt
Walter Miller, AJ6T    Saratoga, CA    USA   CM87
Reply to aj6t@slip.net