TopBand: EWEs

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: EWEs
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 10:41:56 -0400

>Hey Guys, I gotta tell you that my 5 EWEs perform Fantastically well!  I
>have a pair phased to Europe and three others East, West and South.  I
>plan to add another in phase with the South EWE.  I used the 15 ft/38 ft/
>15 ft design which, BTW, has the best pattern/gain of any in the Feb 95
>QT article.  I use them all on 80 and 160.

The point remains, the EWE is a pair of short phased verticals carrying
uniform current with the single wire line a short phasing section. Even two
small verticals can improve S/N ratio many, many dB if conditions are right.

I've used pairs and combinations of pairs of short verticals with great
success in Ohio where a simple driven six foot pipe worked for a ground, with
four phased verticals (300 ft broadside and 70 ft endfire) totally wiping out
long Beverages and combos of long Beverages. The same system at this location
is unworkable without a ground screen.

In the survey I did last year, a few people swore by EWE's, a few more swore
at them.
In general most people with small Beverages felt even a short Beverage was
better than a single EWE.

This illustrates how subjective antennas really are without scientific
comparison.

73 Tom