TopBand: LORAN A on 1850

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: LORAN A on 1850
From: ja0dai@msn.com (Shinichi Watanabe)
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 96 06:20:19 UT
Termination of LORAN A system in Japan:

According to the Maritime Safety Agency Information, 7 remaining stat
ions of LORAN A
navigation system in Japan will stop transmitting at March 10, 1997.

My location is only 500meters from the Niigata LORAN station
which transmits 130 kW pulse on 1850kHz continuously.
I hope my receiving condition will be greatly improved next year. (No
t this winter season.)

So this is the good news for me.
The bad news is that their full sized vertical antenna on the coast s
eems to be under their control
even after termination of the system, it will not be released for our
 amateur experimenting
operation.

Has the LORAN signal been useful as the pilot for JA opening from US
or Europe?

73, Watt, JA0DAI