TopBand: Belau on 160?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Belau on 160?
From: garyk9gs@solaria.sol.net (Gary Schwartz)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 00:19:18 -0500 (CDT)
On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Prologic User wrote:

> Greetings! >
> N5CG and I are departing for Belau on the 10th of October
for 30-60 days and will be active on top band.

> We have operated 160 from there before and made a lot of folks happy.  We
have used dipoles and windoms on 160 with moderate results.  We have
managed to work from the East Coast to the West at U.S. sunrise.

> > Would like any suggestions on how to improve our operation.
Recommended frequencies, antennas, mode, technique, etc.  We will be in a 2
story hotel with the antennas on the
roof.  This hotel is very near the beach with a clear shot out over the
ocean to wards the U.S. and Europe.

> > Any ideas or suggestions are
welcome.

I would ditch the dipole/windom idea.  They are both horizontal polarized
antennas and you just are not high enough.  What you need is as big a
vertical as you can manage, right on the beach, with at least 8-16 radials
running right up to the water.  An inverted-L tied off to a nearby palm
tree or building would also work well.  I would also recommend a K2ZJ
Beverage Box and a Beverage antenna.  You might want to think about one
Beverage towards the US and another towards Europe.

Finally, bring an amp if you can.

Hope this helps!

73,
Gary K9GS