TopBand: Inverted V antenna on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Inverted V antenna on 160
From: kc4wq@galileo.mis.net (Buddy Sohl)
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 1996 01:19:44 -0400
Dan Robbins wrote:

> Dunno about this.  My inverted vee usually stomps my big vertical.  > And the
> inverted vee is only up about 150'.  Almost every USA station I've > ever
> worked has been on the inverted vee.  Model an inverted vee and you'll > see
> it radiates a lot in the vertical plane, too.  The point is not so > much to
> defend the inverted vee, but to point out that what works best in one > locale
> may be second best in another.  Convential wisdom says go with a > vertical,
> so I did.  I'm just glad I had enough foresight and enough geography > to try

Anyone who settles on one antenna doesn't experience ham radio at its
finest.  Granted 160 presents some interesting problems because of size
but,with ingenuity, a respectable signal can be had.  My great uncle
used to work 160 from his apartment(2nd floor) by tapping into the
aluminum gutters and loading with a tuner.  I worked the 160 test in
1982 from OK with a long wire throw from a second floor balcony (at
night).  To paraphrase, conventional wisdom says go with what works best
in your situation and don't knock the other guy because he can't go
bigger and 'better'.

--
73 de KC4WQ
Buddy