TopBand: Inverted L by the sea...

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Inverted L by the sea...
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 18:55:40 -0400

>I find it interesting that the resonant frequency INCREASED. I would
>have expected that, at high tide, there would be an increase in capac
>itance to ground--the water--and a lowering of resonance. I would be
>pleased to learn why that is not so.

Hi Gary,

There have been too many pictures of capacitors going from the antenna to
ground in antenna articles, hi. It has us all thinking the wrong way. We'd be
better off to erase those little capacitors in almost every picture. They
really should go in every direction, not just down to the ground and
especially not just down to a return wire.

The real problem is his ground lead (and hence the overall antenna length) is
getting shorter and longer with the tide. High tide means a shorter antenna.

73 Tom