TopBand: Beverage question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Beverage question
From: kaufmann@ll.mit.edu (John Kaufmann)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 96 13:37:01 -0400

>Is there any reason the feedline for a Beverage can't be the 75 ohm
>coax available at Radio Shack or other places?  Should I spend money
>to get really good coax like 213?
>
>Also, since I get the antenna newsgroup as bundled e-mail and don't
>use a newsreader to read each message, is there an e-mail address for
>submissions?
>
>Thanks
>
>Henry  WA0GOZ
>

>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/topband.html
>Submissions:              topband@contesting.com
>Administrative requests:  topband-REQUEST@contesting.com

Coax lines like RG-59 can certainly be used.  For very long runs, there
will be more loss than for RG-213, but since you probably won't be
transmitting into your Beverage, this should not be a problem.  You'll
see more attenuation on receive, but if you impedance match the Beverage
to the feedline, there should be enough signal that your overall SNR
won't be effected.  I happen to use 75-ohm CATV line to feed my Beverages
because it's a lot cheaper than RG-213.  The longest run is around
300-400 feet.  The only drawback to the smaller coax is that animals can
chew through it more easily.  I've had this happen several times with
my feedlines lying on top of the ground in the woods.  They must find
the stuff tasty.

73, John W1FV