TopBand: Re: How many radials ?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: How many radials ?
From: n7cl@sparx.mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 13:29:20 -0700
To: <topband@contesting.com>
 >Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 11:45:54 -0700 (PDT)
 >From: eldridge@whistler.net (Bob Eldridge)
 >Sender: owner-topband@akorn.net
 >
 >Tried to send this privately, but it bounces.

You are the second person to complain about bounced mail.  I'll have to
cattleprod the sysad guys to see whats different recently.  I still get a
_lot_ of externally originated e-mail tho...

 >Eric:
 >What's wrong with reducing the number of radials by making each one in the
 >form of a Y, branching at the point where the spacing is less than .03?

Nothing at all.  For a really large radial field, this is the way to do
it.  Our main reference ground screen for antenna testing consisted of a
500 foot radius area of 2 inch welded intersection copper mesh made from #8
solid copper wire.  From the outer edge of this mesh, every half meter a
radial ran outwards to a distance of a bit over 5000 feet.  At each
distance outward where the radial to radial distance doubled, there was a
conductor welded between the radials and another radial was begun from the
center point between the existing radials on the lateral conductor.  For
several years, I had a standing invitation for our local ham club to park
in the center of this field for field day.  They never took me up on the
offer.  Oh well...

 >What do you consider the resonant frequency of a dipole (two opposed radials
 >physically quarter wave radials) is likely to be?

Gosh, intuitively, I'd expect the resonant frequency to drop as it came
down from free space to near the ground.  But right now, I can't recall
which way the radials we were testing with actually went.  We _did_ have to
re-resonate them every time we tested a new elevation height.  I wasn't
personally involved in making the adjustments so I don't really recall
which way the adjustment had to go (we did these tests right after Reagan
was elected the first time).