TopBand: YAESU FT1000MP

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: YAESU FT1000MP
From: Dj6rx@aol.com (Dj6rx@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 13:23:33 -0500
YAESU FT-1000MP Spurious cont'd

 (S/N 5L030347 and S/N 5F010444)

 If you own a YAESU FT-1000MP, QSY to 1822KHz. Wait for the band to be open,
 use all the power you got and call CQ.

 Then monitor your 1822 and also 1828.2...

 Surprise, you got two pileups! One where you really are and the other on
 the frequency of your spurious signal. There is some signal strength
 difference between  both signals. However the spurious is loud enough to
 even attract DX or cause QRM to others.

 When transmitting somewhere between 1818 and about 1830 you find strong
 spurious signals in the range 1827 to 1834.
 Even if you do not get two pileups you easily interfere with other QSOs
 on 160. The unwanted signal is often loud enough to wipe out weak DX.

 This morning, when I received complaints from other EUs I started checking
 the rig. Indeed it is bad. Even worse, a second FT-1000MP from a neighbor
ham
 shows exactly the same problems! It very much looks like an FT-1000MP design
 problem. Additional tests using two TS-930 verfied that other brands are
 clean.

 Perhaps meanwhile YAESU has found that spurious problem too and has come up
 with a fix? Else I must try and sell the rig to some 'Only HF-Band Ham' or
 dump it in the Rhine river.

 73 , Klaus (DJ6RX@AOL.COM)