TopBand: Reflector INFORMATION Content

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Reflector INFORMATION Content
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 17:05:46 -0500
Ladies and Gentlemen:

        I was trying to hold sending this until the end of the month but
there seems
to be an outbreak of content sickness on the reflector so I'm going to send
it now.

        To remind everyone, this reflector is for INFORMATION pertaining to=
 160.
This includes INFORMATION requests, but I ask all of you to request direct=
=20
wonderful job
of this on her question regarding receive antenna inputs for the TS-850. =
 Please
follow her fine example.  I still feel all INFORMATIONAL subjects are OK as=
 long
as they relate to 160.  Note that I said INFORMATIONAL, not gripes, bitches,
complaints, criticisms, personal attacks, etc.  I would also appreciate=
 keeping
vulgarity off this reflector, because most of us ARE ladies and gentlemen. =
=20

        Why is this a big deal?  Because it will kill the reflector if we
continue.
Soon we will see 50 messages a day posted, most of which have no INFORMATION
content.  Then we'll go to a digested version to handle the traffic.  Then=
 there
will be 6 or 7 digested messages daily (each including about 30 messages),
most of
which will have no INFORMATION content.  Then, we'll all decide we don't
have time
to read all this crap, and unsubscribe (including myself).  I've experienced
this
before in other reflectors and that's the way this one is headed unless we=
 clean
up our act.  I am NOT going to let it happen here without a fight!=20

        This may sound like a broken record, but please leave all personal=
=20
complaints and opinions about them OFF of this reflector.  Another option I=
=20
have is to go to a moderated version of a reflector but I would hope that we
can act like self-policing adults and keep things on track. =20

        Someone once said that you learn more when you keep your mouth shut.
This certainly applies to the listening we must do on 160 and I think it=
 also
applies here.  I'm going to start getting more aggressive in telling people=
 when
they post something that has NO INFORMATIONAL CONTENT.  PLEASE be=
 considerate
of the other 600+ readers before you hit the enter key and spout off. =
 Follow
the example of many of our non-US readers, who generally don't seem to be as
prone to complain as we do in the US.  I really am ashamed to think what=
 they
must think about some of our recent threads...we can do better. =20

        PLEASE do not post any messages about this to the reflector.  I am
certainly willing to listen to your criticisms directly.  I think I am=
 speaking
for the majority of our subscribers in what I've said.

                                        73,  Bill  W4ZV, Topband=
 Administrator

in=B7for=B7ma=B7tion (=EEn=B4fer-m=E2=B9shen) noun

1.      Knowledge derived from study, experience, or instruction.
2.      Knowledge of a specific event or situation; intelligence. =20
3.      A collection of facts or data: statistical information.
4.      The act of informing or the condition of being informed; communication
of
knowledge: Safety instructions are provided for the information of our
passengers.
5.      Computer Science. A nonaccidental signal or character used as an input
a computer or communications system.
6.      A numerical measure of the uncertainty of an experimental outcome.
7.      Law. A formal accusation of a crime made by a public officer rather than
by grand jury indictment.
=97 in=B4for=B7ma=B9tion=B7al adjective

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition is
licensed from Houghton Mifflin Company. Copyright =A9 1992 by Houghton=
 Mifflin
Company. All rights reserved.
Selected Illustrations from the Concise Columbia Encyclopedia.  Copyright =
=A9
1991 by Columbia University Press.

=20