TopBand: DX HOGS

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: DX HOGS
From: k4wa@mindspring.com (Steven R. Schmidt)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 21:22:39 -0500
At 03:00 PM 11/20/96 +0000, you wrote:
>We have seen some correspondance recently on the topband reflecor
>concerning band allocations; phone and operating styles (particularly EU)
>etc; there's not much said about DX Hogs; last night I had a frustrating
>time:
>
>Not working XZ1N - he went QRT when his sigs were at their best here
>(abt 2330z; before his sunrise!)
>
>Not working 5X4F - megga pile up for him; reasonable sig. Gave up at
>00:00z due to local QRN and frustration here
>
>You couldn't help notice the same calls in there to work 'em; as though
>they are a magnet for the pile up; to see who can get through first. Many
>well known calls in there; they are just preventing the rest of us from
>getting through!  I know that they aren't new countries for the louder sigs
>as well !
>
>Guys; why don't you just stand by; let the ones who are more likely to
>need it fer a new one try first; rather than joining in to see who can bust
>the pile up first all the time!
>
>No doubt you will have to work 'em again at the weekend; to "give 'em a
>point"
>
>Or am I just jealous 'cos I didn't work 'em ?
>
>Dave; G3NKC

Dave, I've shared your frustration.  I once called XX9AS every day for two
weeks..needed it for a new one.  Time and again I was beat out by loud
midwestern stations (a thousand or so miles closer, and probably with bigger
towers) that proceeded to say, "..you're louder today than you were when we
worked two days ago.." (or words to that effect).  I finally worked Albert,
and remember it better because of the frustration I went through along the way.
I'm still a bit scornful of the "big guns" who felt it necessary to prove
the size of their towers by hogging relatively rare DX and announcing to the
pileup that they'd worked Albert before.  If respect is what they sought,
they didn't earn mine.  Keep at it; it'll just make your (ultimately
certain) success sweeter!

73,  Steve  K4WA