TopBand: XZ1N

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: XZ1N
From: K1ZM@aol.com (K1ZM@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 07:20:50 -0500
Hi WES

Yes I got really lucky

Thanks ur note.

One point I failed to mention.

This remarkable QSO was made possible

BECAUSE  the op at the XZ end knew enough about 160M to realize that at his
sunrise he should take a standby for North American callers - even though he
had a huge, wailing pile of Europeans dying to make a QSO.  This kind of
savvy is the mark of an EXPERIENCED operator.

We should all try to remember this if we ever get to the other side someday

Had the XZ1N op NOT known to do this, this QSO NEVER would have taken place
at all

I hope I learn who was at the key someday so as to thank him personally for
his sharp operating practices

Alot more interesting stuff on 160M can take place given maximization of the
available windows..   But sadly, it doesnt always.

This reminds me of a VK6HD QSO to 6W8 about 13 years ago.  The 6W8 op, who
was Bill Peollmitz, K1MM, took a standby from running EU stations right at
VK6 sunrise - and managed to give Mike what was at the time a very rare 160M
QSO!

Bill was both an experienced contester, Dx-peditioner and a very savvy 160M
operator.  Absent the experience, that QSO too never would have taken place.
 I am sure VK6HD still remembers it to this day.

there is a lesson here.  Thanks for helping me remember to mention it on
these pages.
All the best

K1ZM@aol.com