TopBand: XZ1N and KH6

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: XZ1N and KH6
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 09:44:43 -1000
For the first time,  XZ1N was heard in KH6 land this morning,
roughly from 1630 to 1700 UTC on 1825.5 or so.  Just in and
out of about an S7 to 8 noise level on the band, using my
1/2 wave 160 inverted-vee dipole.

Jack,  KH6CC called to him on 1827.6  or so for about the entire
period he was heard.  Jack has a 1/4 wave vertical on 160 with
over 100 taught and elevated radials,  he says none are exactly as
long as his antenna is high.  He runs POWER:  big glass bottles
and a HUGE plate supply transformer (al BC station type ?).
Entirely home brew final amplifier.

XZ1N appeared to be working a few stations to his NW as he
never responded to Jack,  and XZ was calling CQ's as he didn't
seem to have many takers.  I was hoping to tailgate Jack as
they could not possibly hear my whistle from a dipole if they
could not hear Jack.  Maybe XZ was using his European oriented
Beverage;  sure couldn't seem to hear Jack's powerful signal.  I
hope the XZ1N guys listen to their West with a Beverage around
Hawaiian sunrise time:  about 1646 UTC.

I became aware of Jack being on the band as soon as I turned the
1000D on;  keying transients all over 160!  And he is about 350
miles SE of Kaua'i!  Jack usually uses only a straight key,  tho
he does have a mechanical bug.  Jack will be 78 in another month
or so,  and is a little more comfortable with the key.

His station is lots of fun;  some very old equipment: Hammerlund,
National,  etc.  Tho he uses a pair of TS-830's for 160 contesting;
has sure won a string of 160 contests of many sorts!

This morning,  unfortunately,  Jack gave up about 15 minutes or
so following Hawaiian sunrise (about 1646 today)  with a final
call and a very long   dah-di-daaaaaaaaahhhhh! Jack has around
195 confirmed on 160,  and,  of course,  needs XZ.

73,  Jim,  KH7M  who could only listen and hope.