TopBand: Re: AM Broadcast Interference

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: AM Broadcast Interference
From: George.Guerin@kellogg.com (George Guerin)
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 12:10:57 -0500
--IMA.Boundary.585917948

     Hi Gang,

     I reviewed my printouts of the BC interference topics and 10 Khz
     birdies with Charlie, W0CD, last night.

     Charlie feels the problem must be a connection problem in the beverage
     it self or a NEAR FIELD effect, especially if W0SD's problems are only
     on a EU beverage and not on a JA beverage.

     So, I recap:  check the wire, check the grounding, check the
     transformer, check the hardline coax to the shack, check the switchbox,
     check the preamp (if used), check radials from the shunt fed tower
     transmitting antenna that are near the EU beverage, and look for a near
     by metal structure with questionable joints.

     I also think that "thinking sideways" may help.  All with problems
     should read the repeater problem in the middle of Dec 96 QST.  They
        found a high SWR and started blaiming cavities or cavity connections.
        They eventually found the repeater was on 138 Mhz not 146.88!  They
        couldn't find why the frequency jumped, but by tweeking tuned circuits
        and replacing tubes in the RF strip, they got it back on track.

        Good luck,  and hope this helps

        George, K8GG