TopBand: Re: The secret of WB9Z on 160m.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: The secret of WB9Z on 160m.
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 23:29:05 -0500 (EST)
Here's another possibility:

A station with directional receiving antennas, such as Beverages, will often
select the one for the direction that will produce the most points.
>From the Northeast USA, that means Europe. Signals off the back and sides
can be way, way down.

If I'm serious in a 160 meter contest, I usually have a second receiver
hooked up to a small loop or some other "omni" directional antenna. This
receiver can be selected to feed the left ear of the headset, with the main
Rx going to the right ear (or both).

So I pick up signals on the left ear that I'm not hearing on the main
receiver (with the Beverage to Europe). But the "left ear" receiver is
switched out when the run from Europe is hot. I'll pick up the stations off
the back later.

73/Jon AA1K