TopBand: Topband BC Stn. Birdies

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Topband BC Stn. Birdies
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 21:54:06 EST
On Thu, 12 Dec 1996 20:58:59 EST davekennedy@juno.com (David Kennedy)
writes:
>antenna to another. With 7 2-wire Beverage antennas I have 14
>directions available. The birdies peak at random in many
>different directions. Isn't it possible that our state of the art
>receiver front ends are acting like broadband crystal sets acted
>60 years ago when we were thrilled at hearing the local BC station
>with no batteries? Can anyone think of a fault in this theory?
>
>Merry Christmas. 73, Dave--N4SU

I thought that I made that clear Dave in a post a week or two
ago......get out the R4C or  similar  (I use a 51J4) and do an A:B
comparison against your diode loaded Ricebox.

Should you become convinced that you have Ricebox Disease, dont stop at
the front end filters. The virus goes well into the IF chain as the
signal voltage increases and all those other one cent diodes go
non-linear.

I am sure that the mathematically inclined can approximate the total
signal level coming thru that wide open front end filter. It is similar
to what the CATV industry has to face with 500 MHz wide amplifiers that
carry not only TV signals, but FM, and in a LAN enviroment, thousands of
signals.

73......Carl

Fix the radio first and then if necesary add outboard filters... fix the
problem, not the symptom.