TopBand: CLIPPERTON L PROBLEM

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: CLIPPERTON L PROBLEM
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 17:39:33 EST
What you have is typical Clipperton L performance. In your case one or
more of the doorknobs is a primary culprit.
Start there first anyway.  Key the rig for 30 seconds or so and then shut
off. Pull the plug and discharge the PS after the meter shows 500V or
less. Leave a jumper leadconnected from the plate choke or a tube cap to
ground.  Feel the caps and start replacing the hottest ones one at a
time.  BTW, the original Dentron wiring was #14 stranded, silver plated,
Teflon insulated on that phenolic form.

Once you get the RF drift problem corrected, get back to me and we can go
thru additional steps to improve the output power. You might also mention
if you have an untuned or tuned input. The latter was an option on later
production and a kit for earlier units.

Almost forgot, just place the top cover on with no hardware. Put a weight
over the microswitch side to keep it activated.  That saves time so you
can get inside fast.  I get more adventuresome here but would probably
get nailed for suggesting unsafe practices!   DO NOT forget to remove the
shorting jumper before powering up.

GL..........Carl