TopBand: Balloons, Kites and Antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Balloons, Kites and Antennas
From: hires@rust.net (Floyd Soo, W8RO)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 10:21:36 -0800
Gang,

I just want to reiterate what others have said about supporting long wore
antennas with balloons (or kites).  Make sure you have some means of
static dissipation!  This can become a dangerous situation without the
proper precautions!  There will be many thousands of volts developed on
these airborne antennas!  Remember some of the problems the folks
encountered during thre Gulf War?  Using a balloon to raise a wire up in
the air will yield similar results with static discharge!  Needless to
say, I wouldn't be doing this anywhere near a thunderstorm!  Protect
yourselves and your equipment from static discharge!
--
Floyd Soo, W8RO  (ex KF8AT)
President, HI-RES Communications, Inc.