TopBand: [Fwd: 160 meter antenna farm plantation planning]

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: [Fwd: 160 meter antenna farm plantation planning]
From: satcom@lava.net (Stuart Browne)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 09:45:10 -1000
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 09:41:10 -1000
From: Stuart Browne <satcom@lava.net>
To: donovanf@sgate.com
Subject: 160 meter antenna farm plantation planning

Dear Frank,

I've just rekindled my interest in 160m after many years away from it.
The last time I was active was during the 1976 ARRL 160 m contest with a
FT-101e and a Gibson girl balloon supported phosfore bronze wire 1/2
wave vertical. Boy was that fun and 160m sounded like 20m ...I also took
the Rocky Mountain Division high score ( I was W0PXO in those days).

After a 15 year stint in KL7 and W7, I permanently moved to Hawaii in
1994(my wife is a local)and  I have been easing into the devlopment of a
new station.  With the sun spots low again my interest in 160 is high
and so I've started browsing the Internet radio refelectors and found
the topband reflector really great.  Your articles on Bev's are very
informative and so I thought that I'd ask your opionion as to what
antennas for 160m I should install.

My QTH is located on the side of an extinct volcano that slopes from a
ridge behind the house(southwest) to the north east which is downhill to
the beach and the Pacific ocean( about a 1/4 mile away). I have "uphill"
access to the sloping land behind my house and can run a lot of wire up
the hill in a NE to SW direction  which is directly in line with Europe
and North America over the pole.  I'd prefer to have a single antenna
for transmit and receive but fom what I'm reading the Bev's are receive
only. For transmit, an L makes some sense from an ease of installation
point of view, with the L running above and parallel to the Bev and the
feed from the vertical element located close to the house. Another
thought I've had is try our either phased verticals or phased "double
bazooks" with the verticals end fire to Europe and the bazookas
broadside to Europe.

Now the problem I see with the Bev is in that if I want the directivity
towards Europe/NA then I'll need to terminate it on the NE end and feed
it on the SW end which will require a feed line of more than 580 feet.
Is the termination critical to achieve directivity? What's your
recommendation? The area is fairly quiet from QRN/and man made noise
with the ground conductivity so so ( its rocky/red laterite earth). Of
course my great advantage is the QTH's proximity to the ocean and the
height over the ocean (about 500 feet) and the hill sides fairly steep
slope towards Europe and North America. I'd like to keep things fairly
simple as the antennas on the hillside will have to be "stealthy" as its
state conservation land.

73's and Aloha,
Stu Browne
WH6H