TopBand: Stratospheric Warming? (STRATWARM)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Stratospheric Warming? (STRATWARM)
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 08:34:16 -0500
STRATWARM Summary:

        Nobody who replied seemed to know if WWV was still announcing
STRATWARM alerts so I called the duty forecaster and talked to him this
morning.  I was quite surprised that someone answered the phone at 0530
local time on a Monday morning in Boulder, CO but our tax dollars are
still hard at work I guess! :-)

        He said:
--Yes, it is STRATWARM season but there have been no alerts this season.
--The season is roughly December to April.
--Yes, they still do issue STRATWARM alerts.

        Since WWV is still issuing the alerts, the relatively poor
conditions we've been experiencing even with low A and K indices are
apparently NOT due to STRATWARM so I guess we'll have to look further
for another cause.  160 is a fun band because it's so UNpredictable!
If it were predictable, it would take away all the fun.  :-)

        For general info, you can get the current WWV forecast recording
by calling 303-497-3235 and can talk to the duty forecaster at 303-497-
3171.

                                        73,  Bill  W4ZV