TopBand: Broadcast Intermod

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Broadcast Intermod
From: w0sd@juno.com (EDWARD C GRAY)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 15:16:25 PST
If you remember I had loud broadcast interference every 10 khz all the way
across 160 meters.  Actually it was from the broadcast band on up.  I
reported a high pass filter pretty much knocked it out.  I had the
TS-950SDX worked on and found  it had bad sensitivity.   Found a bad
coil right off the front end and a leaky switching diode.  This brought
the sensitivity back up and lowered the intermod significantly.  It is
now tolerable but not quite as good as with the high pass filter but
very close.  I have listened with an IC-736 and IC-706 and the intermod
is there big time.  It appears to me that lots of radios have this
problem and attenuation on the front end does not help.  The cure seems
to be a high pass filter to keep the broadcast signals from getting into
the radio where they cause intermod every 10 khz..  The other cure
probably would be a tube type receiver like a Drake R4B.   I'm going to
try and get ahold of one and check that out!   Thank you to all who
replied to my two posts!

73,  Ed