TopBand: Topband Prop Modes

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Topband Prop Modes
From: aa8u@voyager.net (Bruce (AA8U))
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 23:06:28 -0500 (EST)
Merry Christmas!

I've been reading a lot of neat stuff about 160M Prop here this evening. In
all these posts, one very rare prop mode was ignored or overlooked by the
recognized experts.

In past years, at least on 10M, I noticed some strange sounding and rather
unexpected dx signals late in the evening of Christmas Eve. Beam headings
just a degree or two east or west of North in the past have resulted in the
strongest and longest "openings".

Could it be the silver rails on Santa's sleigh are ionizing the ether as he
zipps about attending to his appointed rounds?

I'm spending more time on 160M these days than 10M and I'll be looking for
the tell-tale signs of this unique mode.

I don't quite know what to call it, maybe Clausionization?

Could this phenomenon be restricted to 10M and other noze bleed VHF bands,
sorta like meteor scatter? It is likely that there is already a name for it
and it has been published and subjected to peer review etc.....

Hey, maybe it is just ordinary Christmas magic and is un-explainable.

73,
Bruce
aa8u@voyager.net