TopBand: HEARD ISLAND MESSAGE # 13

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: HEARD ISLAND MESSAGE # 13
From: john.devoldere@innet.be (John Devoldere)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 06:24:43 +0000
IMPORTANT NOTICE:

FOR THIS MESSAGE TO HAVE THE PROPER APPEARANCE ON YOUR SCREEN,
USE A NON PROPORTIONAL CHARACTER, SUCH AS COURIER OR COURIER
NEW. DO  N O T  USE A PROPORTIONAL SPACING CHARACTER SUCH AS
TIMES NEW ROMAN.

*      H E A R D   I S L A N D   D X - P E D I T I O N    *
*               PILOT PROGRAM     C.V. # 2                *
*              K 0 I R      AND      N 6 E K              *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *=20

Twenty one operators will be on the island. Seven Pilots are=20
helping the DX community to make this the most successful=20
DX-pedition of all times.  Who are they?

Every day we will introduce a few of them.

team member: K=D8IR, Ralph Fedor, MD,=20
3437 Granite View Rd.
St. Cloud, MN 56301

Ralph is member of the executive board of the Heard Island=20
expedition. He is in particular responsible for the antennas=20
used on Heard island, and togehther with NP4W for all other=20
equipment. Ralph  works both phone and CW, but prefers CW on=20
the low bands.

Ralph is member of the executive board of the Heard Island=20
Expedition. Ralph woks CW as well as SSB, but thinsk he=20
perefers low band CW operating.
Ralph is a medical doctor, with specialty in diagnostic=20
radiology. He was first licensed in 1961 as WA=D8ABU; he has=20
held K=D8IR since 1976. He has been involved in many aspects=20
of amateur radio, but has always gravitated back to DXing=20
and contesting, especially on CW. He is active on all bands=20
from 1.8 to 1296 MHz. He holds most of the popular awards=20
relating to Dxing. Ralph is a member of the St. Cloud Radio=20
Club, Northern Minnesota DX Association, Northern California=20
DX Foundation, and the International DX=20
Association. He is an honorary member Twin City DX=20
Association. Ralph was a member of the 1992 VP8SSI=20
DXpedition team. After the SSI DXpedition, he was asked to=20
organize and lead the DXpedition to Peter I. That expedition=20
was widely celebrated as one of the most successful of all=20
time. He was the prime organizer for the 1995 attempt on=20
Heard Island, and remains involved in guiding the 1997=20
expedition. He and his wife Saundy and their four children=20
enjoy their country acreage, where Saundy cultivates flowers=20
and he grows antennas.

team member:N6EK, Robert Fabry, PhD,=20
1175 Colusa Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94707

Bob is member of the executive board of the Heard Island=20
Expedition. He is in particular responsible for the computer=20
network on Heard island, and everything else related to=20
computers and logs (including archives). He works all band =20
SSB and CW, but prefers 20m SSB and CW, as well as 40m CW.=20

Bob is retired from the faculty of the University of=20
California, Berkeley. Among other accomplishments at the=20
University, he founded, and for many years led, the project=20
which created Berkeley UNIX. Licensed since 1957, Bob is a=20
phone and cw contest op. He has been active as VP5Y,=20
N6EK/C6A, XE2GBD, N6EK/VE7, N6EK/1 (NA-148), HD8D, N6EK/HC8,=20
XE2GBD/XF3 (NA-90), J76EK, XE2/N6EK/XF1 (NA-189), 3D2EK (OC-
121/OC-156) and AL7EL/KH9. He is active in many contests and=20
has won California in the the single-operator all-band=20
category in the SSB World-Wide DX Contest. Bob is an advisor=20
to the Northern California DX Foundation, for whom he=20
designed and fabricated their new beacon system. He is a=20
member of the Northern California Contest Club and the=20
Northern California DX Club.=20

73

Your pilots: ON4UN, N1DG, W0EK, K0EU, W4WW, W2IJ, JH1ROJ

*      H E A R D   I S L A N D   D X - P E D I T I O N    *
*                    END OF C.V.  # 2                     *
*   Dec 31, 1996 - The Heard Island Pilots  (cv02.txt)    *