TopBand: VK6VZ's radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: VK6VZ's radials
From: n9dx@michiana.org (Larry Higgins)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 23:22:32 -0500
If I read your posting correctly, your radials must be much less than 1/4
wave and they are above ground.  Here at N9DX I'm using just four buried
radials and four radials at 8 feet, but they are 1/4 wavelength.  I wonder
whether you might be better off just laying those radials on the ground, or
better still bury them an inch or two below the surface.  I'm under the
impression that grounded radials need not be any particular length, but the
higher they are raised the more important the length becomes.  I think I
recall reading somewhere that the length of the radials of a true ground
plane (way above ground) is more critical than the height of the radiator.

Maybe just for kicks try grounding a couple of radials and see what happens.

Good luck

Larry, N9DX