TopBand: 160M QRP - MD to Alaska!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160M QRP - MD to Alaska!
From: dz@voa3.VOA.GOV (Dick Zwirko)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 15:56:25 -0500
K1HTV 160 Meter QRP report
--------------------------
Here are come additional observations on the above average conditions
experienced during the early part of January 6th on the Top Band.
The band was fairly good from my Glenn Dale, MD (DC suburbs) to Western Europe
around 05:30Z but the interesting propagation occured to the NW towards
Alaska.  Around 0540Z I heard Dan, KL7Y calling CQ on 160M at S5 so. I gave
him a call with 100 Watts and during our QSO his signal strength started to
rise to the S6 level. So I quickly dropped the power down to the 5 Watt QRP
level and got a 339 report for QRP country (#50) & a new state on the Top Band.
I believe that makes WAS worked but don't yet have all the QSLs.

At 0601Z, after a few fruitless CQs by KL7Y, I decided to call Dan again,
this time without the 100 Watt helper. The 5 Watts made it on its own to
Alaska and again I got a 339 report. A short time later KH6AT showed up on
1822 KHz but the best Bryce could do through his reported QRN was K1vTV
instead of the K1HTV callsign before signals dropped down. Already have a
QSL from KH6AT confirming our QRP contact so I didn't feel so bad.

Its been frustrating the past week or so, hearing and not being able to work
JW, JY, S92, VQ9, 9X, TF & TO0R on the Top Band while stations in the mid west
and west coast were sending and receiving FB reports. But, as we all know,
thats 160 Meters and our day will come again. So, the K1HTV 160M totals stand
at 148 countries with 100 Watts & 50 countries with QRP.  Hope to eventually
work some new ones this year.
 73 de Rich - K1HTV
 dz@voa.gov