TopBand: BEVERAGE PREAMPS

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: BEVERAGE PREAMPS
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 12:55:29 EST
A well constructed beverage should rarely require more than ~ 10dB of
preamp gain. Many preamp users are mistakenly trying to get their S
meters to read the same as their regular TX antenna when in fact the goal
is improved S/N ratio.  The combined directivity of a Beverage and the
10-15dB of peak signal strength loss as compared to many TX antennas
contributes to less RX overload problems.  I use 3-10dB max of gain in a
tuneable preselector configuration. S Meter readings are not important to
me; digging into the noise is.

The QST Aug 88 preamp was aimed at snake ( NOT Slinky) and loop users
where very high gain is required. That preamp however is a very poor
choice for a good Beverage (never tried a EWE so no comment) since it:
        A. has way too much gain
        B. the MC1350 IC used has poor overload performance and was
    developed as an AGC controlled IF amplifier.
        C. reducing gain in that design can add up to 1dB to the RX noise
figure for           every dB of reduction.
        D. Since we start off with 40-45 dB of gain, a 20-35 dB reduction
can have a            negative impact on weak signal performance.
        E.  A better use of that circuit would be to add a DPDT switch to
bypass the             MC1350 entirely when not needed and just use
the ~ 10dB of gain from                the MPF102 first stage. It would
then make it a better "all around" unit.
        F.  Remove the back to back diodes from the input to further
reduce IMD                    problems in strong signal
environments (particularly BC band). There            are much better
ways to obtain front end protection.

I have built this circuit and still use with a loop; it does a good job
there. I have also sold over 200 kits over the years and am sharing here
many of the feedback comments that were received.

IMHO a low parts count or cheapest design may be self defeating;
particularly after spending all that $$$ on a new rig, or time on an old
one with PIN diodes, to wind up with a preamp that has worse performance
charateristics than the rig. Look very carefully at the design, specs and
source of the article; then pick what best suits your requirements.  One
size may not fit all.........
73....Carl    KM1H