TopBand: Beverage Box Hum

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Beverage Box Hum
From: wc7m@vcn.com (Jay E Ostrem)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 20:14:10 -0700
Well Guys,  I did it again.  I read a book, made an improvement, and caused
a problem.

I installed a ZJ Beverage Box a scant 2 months ago and have been happier
than a gopher in soft dirt with it.  (for the town folk, that means I like
it alot)

I switch two beverages to it.  One runs straight to Japan,  the other points
opposite of Europe.  The JA bev crosses my radial field and is a might noisier.
I have both of them unterminated, so they are "bidirectional" (for the
country folk, that means goes both ways).  I work Europe off the back of one.

I recently read The Beverage Antenna Handbook, by Victor Misek W1WCR.  (You
hafta read it cover to cover, its not something you jump into the middle of)

Misek suggested putting a ground wire directly under the beverage for its
full length, with its intent to improve most anything.

Well I'll be,  it did. Its hooked to the same ground stake the Box is on.
Some folks said it didn't help much when they tried it, but my intent was to
get a little more bounce off the unterminated end of my backwards European
bev.   The Beverages are noticeably more directive, and the European one is
louder off the back now. The bev crossing the radial field is quieter also.

THE PROBLEM

Now I have a problem.  Signals on the bev's sound like polar flutter.  At
first I thought it sounded like a 60 cycle hum, but it seems less than 60
cycles.  What ever it is, it seems to be modulating the received signals.

I don't hear it on the transmit antenna (140 ft tower).

When I unplug the ac adapter to the Box, it quits.

Its equal on both antennas.

The ground wires are not grounded at the far ends, only at the origins
(directly to the ground stake the Box is mounted on).

Is there anything you can suggested short of removing the miracle wires?
Its about 15 below zero now, and anything to minimize my chance of perishing
in the south pasture would be greatly appreciated.
                            73

                            Jay WC7M in Gillette, Wyoming

                            On the 1AB Ranch in Campbell County