TopBand: Propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Propagation
From: kl7y@alaska.net (Dan Robbins)
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 17:26:53 -0900 (AKST)
At 12:08 PM 12/18/88 -0000, you wrote:
>Thats right Pierre,
>On numorous occasions, the band condx. seem to improve 24 hours BEFORE an
>aurora occurance. Can anyone prove in theory that this is true ? NM7M ?
>
>I feel the need for predicting aurora with accuracy 24 hours ahead.

Well, it certainly is true here in Alaska and you don't have to operate from
here for many years to recognize that there is often a big enhancement just
prior to an aurora.  I suspect this is because the bursts of radiations
traveling at the speed of light from the events on the sun arrive in a short
time and enhance the ionosphere.  Somtime thereafter those nasty old ionized
particles arrive (they travel much slower than the speed of light) and dump
into the polar regions causing the auroras and geomagnetic storms.

Interestingly enough, while the lower latitude ops seemed to be enjoying
wonderful propagation, the conditions here were awful.  Great auroral
displays under clear skies the last two nights - fast moving curtains of
light and bright colorful arcs.  But 160 was shot - noisiest I ever heard it
plus no signals.  Mother Nature's big attenuator-in-the-sky working overtime!

                                Dan KL7Y