TopBand: Potted Relays

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Potted Relays
From: k3lr@telerama.lm.com (k3lr)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 16:00:25 -0500
KM1H's potted relay fad may of been short lived, but the potted relays
live on at K3LR!

When K1EA published his 2 and 3 high stacking paper in the YCCC butt
he used an automotive relay that several people (K8CC) had trouble
with. I wasn't building realy boxes at the time Dave had his failures,
so I searched for a better solution.

A VE6 posted concerning his experience with the Potter Brumfiled RKS
relay and I have had nothing but great results as well. It is
an enclosed PC board mount relay. I use the 12 volt model. Other coil
voltages are available. They are a bit expensive ($5 to $6) depending
on how many you order.

I bought 100 relays in 1992 for my antenna projects and now have 15
left. 85 relays in service and no failures. Even last night at -2
degrees F, they were switching fine!

73!
Tim K3LR

K3LR@contesting.com