TopBand: Last night in Boring, Oregon

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Last night in Boring, Oregon
From: larrytx@co.intel.com (LarryX Tyree contractor for brentc)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 97 10:01:54 PST
Hello fellow topbanders:

Local conditions couldn't have been better last night: we have had
several days of dry weather, and the power lines have all dried out.

I learned something about power line noise from really high voltage
lines about 10 years ago at a previous QTH.  There were some 500 kv
lines about 1.8 miles from my QTH, and they were made with hollow
wires.  When water would get inside of the cables, they would get
realy noisey.  The noise level would be 30 db over S9 using my
transmit antenna.  The noise wasn't localized to one direction either,
which made it difficult to deal with.  I actually had the power company
shut down that line for about a minute to confirm it was the source.

They were looking at many millions of dollars to fix the problem.  The
solution was to go to three conductors per phase to decrease the field
strength.  They do this in highly populated areas, but not in the country.
I got so fed up with it, I decided to get a divorce and move out.

I have similar lines about 4 or 5 miles from my current QTH, and I think
they generate a similar noise - just not as strong - again, not localized
in direction, so I can't null it out.

What is more interesting is now that I have my R4-C working again, there
is a big difference in how my TS-850S handles this noise compared to the
R4-C.  I think it has a lot to do with the filters, but last Friday night,
I could work Europe through the noise with the R4-C, where I had a hard
time with the 850.  Perhaps it was just the bandwidth as I can get pretty
sharp with the R4-C.

At any rate, last night was a perfect night for local noise - there wasn't
any.  However, the band didn't cooperate.  ON4UN was the only signal I
could hear from Europe, and he was about 119 on peaks.

At 0640Z, I found 6W6JX finishing a QSO with AJ6T and he was an honest
579 - however, he announced he was going QRT after that QSO and I didn't
get a chance to pounce.  He was much louder than when I worked him on
Sunday around 0600Z.  He was on for almost an hour last night, so if
you need him, there is a good chance he will show up again.  Look
around 1835 or 1836 kHz.

ZS4TX was not very strong, but copyable last night around 0330.  ZS5LB
was not heard this time - although he was on (according to packet).

I would like to claim the longest distance per watt record on 160.  Here
is my data:

  1836.0  ZS4TX       15-Jan-1997 0334Z  Just wkd N6TR!               <K3SME>

This QSO took place with ZERO watts of power on my end (I never transmitted).
However, since I was listening around that time, I guess Bernie knew I
was there and we worked.  This reminds me of the time I busted a big
pileup to A61 with N6AA at the key on 80 meters - again without transmitting.
At least that time I had the amp on and was able to complete the QSO
properly.

At any rate, Bernie is about 10,200 miles away, divided by zero is a
pretty big number.

Maybe there are long delayed echos of my call from previous pileups
floating around and busting through other pileups for me.

Nice to hear activity from Africa.  I think there are MANY countries
we (West coast we) could work there, if they were just active.  Hopefully
we can increase the activity there by exchanging information on openings
and encouraging Afrians we bump into on the other bands to try 160 at the
times established as good openings.

Listened briefly for VK0 this morning on 160, but the band just didn't
sound open.  Ended up working them on 40 instead - everyone with a 6 or
7 in their call was there with a good opening.

73 Tree N6TR/K7RAT
tree@contesting.com