TopBand: Africa

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Africa
From: tree@lady.axian.com (Larry Tyree)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 06:11:17 -0800 (PST)
N7UA must be right about this location - it does do very well
into Africa.

ZS4TX showed up on the usual time and frequency (0310 UTC on 1836)
and while he wasn't as strong as previous openings, he peaked up
well around 0330.  Not many people were calling him at 0335, so
I worked him - but it wasn't like better openings where the exchange
was quick and easy.

Another ZS (ZS6UT) was reported on 1826 at the same times.  I could
hear him faintly but he seemed to have attracted a big pileup and
it didn't seem that he would be easy to work.  He was weaker than
TX.

6W6JX showed up right on schedule again around 0600, came up out
of the noise around 0610 and peaked around 0630.  Many stations
made QSOs with him - including many W6s.  There were some people
calling who seemed to have a hard time with him however.  He was
very easy to copy here - moving the S-meter and all that.

I called one CQ DX and was answerd by JX5XM - who was only about
599+.  This station first worked K1ZM (who must have been running
zero watts as I couldn't hear him), then several northern
californian stations.   This station must have a better location
to the west coast than the other stations in Europe - as I never
heard anything else out of Europe...  perhaps he is in the very
western part of Europe, near the Pacific Ocean.

My last five QSOs look great in the log: FM5BH, XF4CA, VK0IH,
ZS4TX and 6W6JX.  Too bad the VK0 was on 40!

73 Tree N6TR/K7RAT
tree@contesting.com