TopBand: Next Solar Cycle

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Next Solar Cycle
From: nx1g@top.monad.net (Craig Clark)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 10:27:42 -0600
A Calmer Sun Predicted; colder Earth may result  Wed Boston Globe( p.A11)

Well guys, for those of you who have been hoping for a major increase in
Solar activity as we move into this next cycle, Solar scientists say that
the Sun is now entering a "quiet" period.

In a story in yesterday's Boston Globe, predicted levels of activity will be
down significantly from the last few cycles.  The article states that this
may mean mild "space weather," fewer power black-outs, less radio
interference, and, perhaps, slightly cooler Earth temperatures.

This prediction is based upon an analysis of solar magnetic measurements.
The Sun has shown a decease in activity in the last 50 years.

Oh well......

Craig

                        Craig Clark
                Hu-rah!         now      W1JCC
                      ex NX1G, N1ACH, WA1QWW, WN1IGG
        send me e-mail and I'll put you on our mailing list
                        Radio Bookstore
        Books for Amateur Radio, SWL and CB Radio Operators
                        (603) 899 6957
                        (603) 899 6826 fax
                        PO Box 209
                        Rindge, NH 03461